Monday, June 24, 2013

Children Say The Darndest Things

 
 
 
I'm not sure who coined that phrase but I'm fairly certain that they met my oldest son way before I did.  He is an adorable 10 year old who has no clue that he is well over 5 feet tall and his arms and legs are monstrously long.  Moreover, he has no clue just how smart he is.  We try not to make a really big deal out of it but sometimes, he is just out there in his own world and honestly, his world looks pretty doggone inviting sometimes.  

He possess a special talent, a gift if you will.  He is very outgoing until he realizes that he is so different.  As his parents, we tend to cater to him more than outsiders do, you know, we laugh at his jokes even when we don't get them.  But, he has this one incredible knack that can only be traced back to his equally intelligent father.  What is that gift?  

This little guy who indeed does have the gift of gab, also has the gift of forgetting.  Last summer, I sent him to the mailbox.  He went out the front door and returned with a package.  He didn't have time to walk to mailbox though and so I knew he had retrieved the package from the front porch.  I reminded him that he was going to get the rest of the mail. 

This little 9 year old went back out the front door and returned again without ample time for walking to the end of the drive for the mail.  He started toward his room and I asked him if he had gone to the mail box and his reply was, "Oh yea, I forgot what I went outside for". ...ok, sure.

Fast forward, my loving, chatty and witty ten year old is looking for a flashlight.  He can't find one so he asks if he can use his dad's phone for a flash light.  Yes, I know, don't ask how that habit got started.  His dad said yes and he unplugged it from the charger.  That's important because........

...when he returned from his Nanny's in the dark, using only the phone for a flashlight, he was getting ready for bed when his dad said to him, "did you plug my phone back up" and he quickly retorts, "I don't know where the plug is".  

And, then, he burst into laughter.  The contagious laughter that makes you have belly rolls jiggling.  Ah, alas, he is growing up and I'm not so sure that I'm ready for it.  I know, it can't be avoided.  I just hope my boys are as loving and respectful as their father...after all, they do have a great role model. 


Read more from Jerri Ann at Thejerriann.com

No comments:

Post a Comment